I can finally say that I am getting my bearings around Belfast, and love it! Throughout the past couple weeks I have been meeting most of my flat mates, which all are from different countries! I am the only American on my floor, which I think is fabulous. I love talking to people from around the world, sharing different ideas, concepts, and just normal everyday routines.
The party/drinking scene is backwards here in Ireland. Most students who attend Queen’s are Northern Irish students, so every (or every other) weekend these students will go home. The major party nights in Belfast are basically Monday-Thursday! I have never seen so many people go out on a school/work night, its unbelievable! I can already tell that weekends are going to be my time to study for classes, considering no one is here on campus!
On Monday I experienced my first PUB CRAWL! Queen’s does a RAG week every semester, which includes the pub crawl. Just imagine a massive group of students in bright yellow shirts, roaming from pub to pub like cattle! For me it was a blast, and all the proceeds went to charity. What is better than being able to drink, have a great time with friends, and in the mean time raise money for charity? NOTHING! :)
I am still trying to get the Northern Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Derry, and every other county’s accent down. Each accent is completely different than the next! I feel like a complete idiot having to ask somebody to repeat what they said more than twice, but some people cannot understand me! Most people will ask me if I am either Canadian, or Irish. The people of Ireland do not want to offend those that are Canadians, so they will never ask if you are American, the question will always be are you from Canada? I believe people in my modules, and tutorials get confused about where I am from. They believe I am Irish from the way I look, but as soon as I open my mouth every single head in that module turns!
Well I have a mound of reading to do, a mound of laundry, and a mound of mess in my room to clean up. I should probably get to those unnecessary, fun killing, boring tasks that are calling my name.
UNTIL NEXT TIME :)
Megan
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.